BoardBooster or Tailwind: which one is better?
I see this question being asked ALL THE TIME. And honestly, I don’t think there will ever be a general consensus on whether Tailwind or BoardBooster is a “better” tool or investment.
I’ve used both, and I lie firmly in the BoardBooster camp. Don’t get me wrong: Tailwind is great for somet things, like scheduling pins. But now that the Pinterest home feed isn’t chronological anymore, scheduling your pins (although a nice option) isn’t critical. On top of that, I just find the Tailwind software kind of… clunky.
So yes, BoardBooster has my heart. I have a feeling that once you read this post, you might just fall in love with it too!
Update: As of June 27, 2018, BoardBooster has unfortunately been shut down. So sad! The other Pinterest tool I recommend is Tailwind, and you can implement most of the strategies in this blog post with Tailwind.
How to Get Started with BoardBooster
Before we get into some of my favorite BoardBooster features, let me quickly run you through how to set up a BoardBooster account. One thing I LOVE about BoardBooster is that they offer a free trial for your first 100 pins, so you can see if the tool is a good fit for you before committing. I originally signed up for a free trial, and honestly, I was hooked from the very first day!
When you head over to the BoardBooster website, you’ll see a big green button that says “Sign Up for Free Trial”. Click that button, and then enter in your details — name, email address, and time zone. That’s all you need to get your free trial underway!
When your free trial runs out (which generally takes a few days to a week, depending on how much you’re using BoardBooster), you can choose the monthly plan that’s right for you. To choose a plan, click “Account” in the top right corner of your BoardBooster homepage, and then choose “Payment Settings” from the drop down box.
$5 gets you 500 pins a month, $10 gets you 1,000 pins a month, and so on all the way up to 11,000 pins per month (that’s a lot!) And don’t worry — I’ll be showing you exactly what BoardBooster can do with your pins in just a minute.
Once you’ve selected your plan and entered in your payment details, you’re set! Now, let’s chat about three of my absolute FAVE BoardBooster features…
Fave Feature #1: Looping
This is probably BoardBooster’s most well-known feature, and it’s the HUGEST time-saver ever.
How looping works
With looping, BoardBooster automatically re-pins your oldest pins to the same board they’re already on. Then, after a few days, it goes back in and deletes whichever of those 2 pins (the original or the re-pin) has less engagement. This way your boards don’t get cluttered up with duplicates.
Why Looping is awesome
The beauty of looping pins is two-fold:
1. It makes you look like you’re constantly active on Pinterest throughout the day, even when you haven’t been on it in days. This is great for mastering Pinterest’s algorithm.
2. It gives all of your pins a “second chance” to go viral, WITHOUT cluttering up your boards (because of the de-duplication process).
How to set up looping
Here’s how to get looping set up. On your BoardBooster homepage, click “Pinning Tools” in the top right-hand corner, and select “Looping” from the drop down menu.
Next, click the “Add Boards” button on the top right, and select all of the boards you want to loop pins on. You can’t loop to Group Boards, and I also don’t recommend looping to any boards that have less than 50 pins in total.
Once you’ve chosen your boards, it takes a few minutes for BoardBooster to load them all. After it’s finished loading, you get to decide on the looping settings for your boards. And don’t worry — you can always go back in afterwards and change the settings on each individual board!
Looping tips + suggestions
Here’s how to make the most out of looping:
1. Set de-duplication to run after 5 or so days. Any longer and your duplicates will be hanging around for too long!
2. When deciding on the number of pins to loop per day, I recommend approximately 1-2% of each board. For example, if a board has 100 pins in total, set it to loop 1 or 2 pins per day. If it has 200 pins, set looping for 2-4 pins per day.
3. When you’re just starting out with BoardBooster, set the time interval to cover the span of the entire day (12:00 AM to 11:59 PM). Once BoardBooster has had some time to analyze your Pinterest account, you can check out their “Best Time to Pin” report, and set looping to occur within your most popular time periods.
So, you obsessed yet? No? Maybe this next feature will get you hooked…
Fave Feature #2: Campaigns
Campaigns are the best way to share your original content to group boards, with basically zero effort. You don’t want to pin every new blog post to all of your group boards at once, because that would “clutter up” your feed (not pretty!) This is where campaigns come in.
There are two types of Campaigns you can set up with BoardBooster:
1. A Scheduled Campaign
This type of campaign creates a Secret Board on your Pinterest account, and any pins you add to that secret board will be re-pinned to other boards at set intervals.
2. A Random Campaign
This type of campaign pulls a certain number of pins from one particular board, at random times throughout the day, and re-pins them to other boards you’ve selected for that particular campaign.
Why Campaigns are awesome
Random campaigns ensure that all of your posts are being continuously shared to group boards, giving them more exposure – and without you having to lift a finger! Scheduled campaigns are the perfect way to add your newest blog post to all of your group boards without cluttering up anyone’s feed or “spamming” them. Both are MASSIVE timesavers, and basically allow you to “set it and forget it”!
How to set up Campaigns
Here’s how to create your first Campaign…
1. On the BoardBooster homepage, click “Pinning Tools” in the top right corner, then choose “Campaigns” from the drop down box.
2. Click “New Campaign” and choose whether you want to set up a Random or Scheduled Campaign (you can create multiple of each!)
Here’s how to set up your Scheduled Campaign:
1. Name your campaign (this is the name of the secret board that will be created).
2.Click “Add Re-pin” and select each board, one at a time, that you want these pins to be re-pinned onto.
3. Choose the day and time you would like each re-pin to occur at. Put at least a few hours in between each re-pin.
4. Click Save.
Now, whenever you want a pin to re-pin itself to all of those boards, at these set times, all you have to do is pin it to the secret board for that campaign. Les simples!
Here’s how to set up a Random Campaign:
1. Give your Campaign a name. Choose something simple that explains exactly what the campaign is for (e.g., “My Blog Posts to Group Boards).
2. Choose the board you’d like pins to be pulled from. This is called the “Source Board”. For example, you might choose the board that’s devoted to your own blog posts.
3. Choose your “Target Boards”. These are the boards you want the pins from your Source Board to be re-pinned to. For example, this might be all the group boards you belong to.
4. Determine how many pins you want re-pinned from the Source Board to the Target Boards each day. You can set a different number of re-pins for each target board, if you like.
5. Set the time span that the pinning should occur within. If you already know your “Best Time to Pin”, you can set your time span based on that.
6. Click Save.
That’s it! Once you set up these Campaigns, you’ll never have to worry about sharing your blog posts to group boards again. BoardBooster takes care of it for you!
Looking for MORE tips to speed up your Pinterest process? Don’t miss this post with my six top tips for speedy pinning!
Campaign tips + suggestions
1. Create a Scheduled Campaign and title the Secret board, “My Blog Posts to Group Boards”. Set the pins to re-pin to all of the group boards you belong to (that fall within your blog’s niche). Whenever you write a new blog post, pin the post to the secret Campaign board, “-My Blog Posts to Group Boards” and let it work its magic!
New to group boards? You’ll want to check out this series ASAP.
2. Create a Random Campaign that re-pins 2-3 pins per day from your blog posts board (the Source Board) to all group boards in your niche (the Target Boards). This ensures that your content won’t be sitting gathering dust for too long!
3. If you have a board with one overarching category that several of your other boards fall under, set up a Campaign to share content between those boards. The Source Board will be the one with the more specific category, and the Target Board will be the overarching one.
For example, on my account I have a board called “Social Media Tips for Bloggers”, and I also have boards for “Instagram Tips for Bloggers” and “Pinterest Tips for Bloggers”. Because all the pins on the latter two boards would also fit on the Social Media board, I’ve set up a campaign to re-pin them there every so often.
Fave Feature #3: The Pin Doctor
If you’ve done any research into Pinterest and its algorithms, you’ve probably heard the term “Power Pinner” before. Power Pinners are people whose accounts rank highly on Pinterest for things like:
+ SEO and keywords
+ engagement (re-pins and likes)
+ quality of pins
Getting a “Power Pinner” ranking is tough, but BoardBooster’s “Pin Doctor” is here to help. The Pin Doctor tests all of your pins and reports on problems in nine different categories. You can see these nine categories in the image below:
It then displays all the problem pins within each category, and you can go through and delete these pins from your account as needed.
Why the Pin Doctor is awesome
The Pin Doctor allows you to clean up your pins and boards in minutes, whereas doing it manually would take hours (or days!) Again, this helps you rank higher in Pinterest’s algorithms, meaning your content will be shown more often in the smart feed – which leads to more followers and engagement.
How to use the Pin Doctor
You’ll be given a free Pin Doctor trial for one board, and after that, there’s a fee of 1 cent per pin. (Hint: Use your free trial on your biggest and most popular board!) Here’s how to use it:
1. On the BoardBooster homepage, click “Maintenance Tools” in the top right, and select “Pin Doctor” from the drop down menu.
2. Choose which boards you want to run the Pin Doctor on, and how many pins.
3. Click “Hire Pin Doctor!” and let it work its magic.
Depending on how many pins you’re having doctored, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours to run the test. You’ll get an email from BoardBooster when the results are ready, and you can log back into your account to see the results and delete pins as necessary.
Pin Doctor tips + suggestions
Here’s how to make the most of the Pin Doctor:
1. Because this is a paid feature, use the Pin Doctor on your largest and most popular boards first. Once BoardBooster has gathered enough data on your Pinterest account, you can go into Reports >> Board Performance, and see which board has the largest number of followers, repins, and duplicates — making it the perfect candidate for the Pin Doctor!
2. To delete multiple pins at once, tick the box to the left of each pin, then select “Delete” at the very top of the page. This will delete the pins from your account over the course of a few hours.
3. Redirected links aren’t always a problem, so they don’t always need to be deleted. Redirects happen if a website has changed its domain name, and then redirected all old URLs over to the new website. Be sure to comb through this section in the report and only delete pins that link to suspicious websites/completely different websites, or to the website’s homepage instead of to a specific post.
4. With duplicate pins (either those with the same link, same image, or both), delete whichever duplicate has less re-pins and likes — keeping the pin that has the highest engagement.
PHWEWF! I have a feeling this post has gotten super long. Hopefully you’re a fast reader and haven’t been here all day. I just love BoardBooster so incredibly much, and I think everyone should be using it to make their Pinterest growth simpler and faster.
If you’re looking to use Pinterest to promote your blog or business, I highly recommend jumping “on board” (pun intended!), and letting BoardBooster do the work for you. Have questions about BB? Let me know below!